For the Pooris
Wheat flour/atta - 2 cups
Salt - 1 tsp
Warm water - approx. 1 cup
Oil - to deep fry
1. Mix salt into the atta and make a thick dough (than used for chappathis) adding the warm water little at a time.
2. You can leave the dough to rest for an hour, covered, but mostly when I make this for dinner, I don't get time to do this and it comes out well anyway.
3. Divide the dough into 12-15 small balls and roll out with a pin, making sure the thickness is even. Only then the pooris will puff out when frying.
4. Deep fry in the oil till turning over until both sides are golden brown.
For the Potato Masala
Potatoes - 3, boiled, cubed and peeled
Onion - 1 small, or half of a big one, chopped
Green chillies - 3, slit
Grated ginger - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp (I powder it before use)
Turmeric - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal/Channa dal - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Curry leaves - 10
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and urad/channa dal. Wait for them to splutter and then add the green chillies and onions. Saute till translucent.
2. Now add the jeera, ginger and turmeric and fry for 10-15 seconds.
3. Finally add the potatoes. Mass a few of the pieces to form a gravy, mix well with added salt and remove from fire.
Serve hot with pooris.